Friday, July 31, 2009

Balances & Interest Rates

Canada Visa - $8770.06 at 19.5% interest! Ouch.
US Visa - $2762.22 (US dollars) at 7.9%
Overdraft - $1416.33 at 18.5%
Canada income taxes - $470 at 5%

Grand total in CAD $13,634.50

At this rate I would have to put approx. $1300 a month towards debt to pay it off in a year. This is pretty impossible as I am the only income right now and I am taking home about $1800 a month. My first step is to get those interest rates lower. I have applied for a line of credit and hoping I can transfer the balances to that. Unfortunately in Canada, no cards offer 0% balance transfers like the states.

On another note, I came home last night to ripe plums falling off the neighbors tree, so I quickly ran over and asked them if I could pick them, no problem. Then I went across the street to another neighbor who I had seen working on his house and asked to borrow a ladder, and I have a liter of frozen delicious plums now and I think I'll make jam too! Free food!! And, the blackberries are starting to ripen in the backyard :)

Happy sunshine to you all!

4 comments:

Corinne said...

Ouch! You can get that debt taken care of though, don't worry! The plums sound absolutely yummy. I'm sorry things didn't work out over here, but who knows? You may find yourselves coming back this direction, the world's kinda wierd like that.

Lynne said...

I agree with Corinne on all points! And I love that you will make your own jam! It is kind of funny how life works sometimes.... A week ago I was stuck in a job I was really starting to hate, met with four women on a beach and we talked about our dreams... and then in one week, I had a new job and will have time to work on my dreams. Of course, the new job is part-time, so less money, but even so... greater quality of life. So, I guess my point is just that... you never know!! Of couse, I've wanted to live in Norway for years and I'm not there yet, but... hoping it will happen in a few years. We'll see!!

Take care, Lynne

Leah said...

Thanks for the nice comments guys! You are both right, who knows what will happen...

jenny said...

Leah, you should check out Presidents choice banking. I'm pretty sure they have much lower rates than visa, and I did a balance transfer a couple years ago, and I think it was about 3.something %. I bank with them and they don't have any fees. Hope it helps!